Sunday, May 22, 2011

SIFF 2011

 
SIFF is here!!

So many movies!

So many choices....


For this years SIFF I plan on seeing at least ten movies, hopefully more.

Choosing the films is one of the funnest parts of the festival. I love getting the catalog, reading about movies and marking off one's that look good. Of course with 400 movies to flip through it can be overwhelming. I thin out the choices by focusing on films that are by and/or about women. If it is directed by a women and about women it will automatically peak my interest.
It's cool being able to go online to the SIFF site and watch trailers of most of the films (some don't have previews up) which helps give me an idea of the quality and style of a movie.
Horror is also one of my favorite genre's and most years I see some great movies in this catagory. last year I saw the super violent DREAM HOUSE, which had some very disturbing (and awesome) deaths. Three years ago I saw the amazing Swedish film LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. This year there isn't any of the horror films I am very interested in. There were several that looked fun in the catalog but when I watched the previews they didn't look as good. THE INTRUDER, THE VILLAGE OF SHADOWS and WE ARE THE NIGHT are all horror movies where the previews made me uninterested.
I do want to see TROLLHUNTER, a fun looking "found footage" style monster movies about giant trolls. Also BELLFLOWER looks interesting, but I have a lot of American films on my list already and am trying to see one's from more countries.



Here are 4 movies at the very top of my list:
CIRCUMSTANCE directed by Maryam Keshavarz filmed in Lebanon
BELLE EPINE directed by Rebecca Ziotowski from France
WITHOUT directed by Mark Jackson filmed here on Whidbey Island
THE OFF HOURS directed by Megan Griffiths from Seattle and starring Tony Doupe, an acting teacher I had.



Other films that I hope to catch are LYS (Germany), WOMB (Germany/Hungary/France), PINOY SUNDAY (Taiwan), TABLOID (USA), AMADOR (Spain), FUCK MY LIFE (Chilli), TIMES AND WINDS (Turkey), JUAN (Denmark), THE WHISTLEBLOWER (Canada/Germany), JUCY (Australia), LOVE LIKE POISON (France)
The first movie I have seen has been LOVE (USA) and I will be writing a review of it along with all the films I see in the festival. So look for those soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment