Sunday, February 27, 2011

Academy Awards Time

The Oscars are here and 2010 films are gonna be getting their awards today. I have been watching so many movies from this last year I am ready to move on and after today I am going to. But first I will make my predictions and choose my picks for all the top awards.

This years ceremony will have a new feel to it I think. Hosts James Franco and Anne Hatheway bring youth to the show, and since neither are comics (in the sense that past hosts have been) I am predicting sketches will dominate, maybe them doing bits from many classic movies?

I always enjoy seeing the dresses on the red carpet. Pregnant Natalie Portman will be glowing I am sure, and I have high hopes for Jennifer Laurence and Michelle Williams, both up for best actress along with Ms. Portman.

So here are the nominees, If a name/title is in red I have NOT seen it. Otherwise I have.

BEST PICTURE
BLACK SWAN
TRUE GRIT
KINGS SPEECH will win 
SOCIAL NETWORK
THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT My Pick
WINTER BONES
INCEPTION
127 HOURS
TOY STORY 3
THE FIGHTER

If any movie beats KINGS SPEECH it will be SOCIAL NETWORK, which just weeks ago I would have predicted, but SPEECH has picked up momentum recently and is a very academy friendly movie. I liked lots of these movies, I choose THE KIDS because it was my favorite movie of all ten. Both TRUE GRIT and SOCIAL NETWORK were amazing and I would be happy to see either win.

BEST ACTRESS
Natalie Portman will win
Jennifer Laurence
Michelle Williams
Nicol Kidman
Annette Bening My Pick

All 5 actresses were great in their films. I would be happy to see any of them win really. I pick Bening because I think playing as normal of a person as she does in THE KIDS is hard and the scene when she sings Joni Mitchelle at the dinner table is amazing.

BEST ACTOR
Javier Bardem 
Jessie Eisenberg
James Franco
Colin Firth will win My Pick 
Jeff Bridges

Another great catagory. I almost want to say Jessie Eisenberg is my pick, but Firth is really great in KINGS SPEECH and was great last year in A SINGLE MAN and I want him to get an oscar.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Helena Bonham Cater
Jacki Weaver
Amy Adams
Melissa Leo my pick 
Hailee Steinfeld will win 


I am predicting Steinfeld will win because Melissa Leo (who is also a good bet for taking home the gold) might loose based on votes being spit between her and Amy Adams because they are both in the same film and both are good. I think Leo is great as the mom and always great in every film she does. My only problem with Steinfeld winning is that she is not the supporting actress in TRUE GRIT she is a lead and it seems unfair to compare her performance to the others when she is in every scene in the movie and the rest are supporting.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR 
Mark Ruffalo
Geoffrey Rush
Christian Bale will win
Jeremy Renner
John Hawkes My Pick


Bale's performance in THE FIGHTER seems to have gotten him many awards this season and I think it will tonight as well. There is a chance Rush will beat him because KINGS SPEECH has been picking up speed recently. I think Hawkes was great in WINTER BONES, I wish he would win.

BEST DIRECTOR 
David Fincher
Coen Brothers
Tom Hooper will win 
David O Russell
Darren Aronofsky My Pick

I think whatever film gets best picture the director will match. But Fincher has a great shot too. I choose the BLACK SWAN director because I love his crazy style.

BEST DOCUMENTARY
WASTE LAND
INSIDE JOB  will win 
EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP My Pick
RESTREPO
GASLAND

Most people predict INSIDE JOB will win. I have not seen it but want to and am going ahead and predicting it to win. Of the three I have seen both EXIT IT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP and GASLAND are great. I give it to GIFT SHOP just barley over GASLAND because it stayed more consistent.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE 
TOY STORY 3 will win
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
THE ILLUSIONIST

I am not picking a personal winner because I have only seen 2 and think I would really like ILLUSIONIST. it seems a sure bet that TOY STORY will win.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY 
ANOTHER YEAR
KINGS SPEECH will win
THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT My Pick 
THE FIGHTER
INCEPTION

This is a hard choice. I loved the script for ANOTHER YEAR but still want KIDS  to get it. The script was original and so funny.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY 
TRUE GRIT
SOCIAL NETWORK My pick/will win 
WINTER BONES
127 HOURS
TOY STORY 3

Aaron Sorkin is a great writer and what I loved most about SOCIAL NETWORK is that the characters have conversations and talk to each other. I think this should and will win.

BEST FOREIGN FILM
IN A BETTER WORLD
INCENDIES
BIUTIFUL wll win
OUTSIDE THE LAW 
DOGTOOTH

Since I have only seen one of these films (boo) I won't pick it. but I loved DOGTOOTH so I would be happy to see it win. It sounds like BIUTIFUL  is great and will win.

There we go. The show is later today and I will be watching it, hope you will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment